Austin Allegro Forum

Any tips on how to clean my leather seats?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any tips on how to clean my leather seats?

Post  Jimbo on Wed May 08, 2013 11:50 am

Been attending to my VdP today in preparation for Gaydon on Sunday, and got around to noticing the leather seats are FILTHY Embarassed

Looks like someones been throwing coca cola and greasy engine parts around, so I need to get them cleaned up, and ideas, preferably using products I can source from Asda, Aldi, Lidl type places at competitive prices Very Happy

I'm thinking I'm going to have to use something which initially strips the grease etc.. out, and would be bad for the leather if left, and then feed the leather straight after? I'm sure I read somewhere someone doing this kind of procedure - I also think I heard baby lotion/ hand lotion is good for feeding leather?

I had a go with a couple of part cans of Mister Sheen I had kicking around, which didn't really touch the ingrained filth, but made it smell better Rolling Eyes

I did change one of my rear tyres today, as the old one was a remould, and had no date on it, so apparently manufactured before 1980 my tyre guy reckons Shocked

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Any tips on how to clean my leather seats?

Post  Andy Perman on Wed May 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Jim,

You can get leather cleaning wipes from any furniture store - used for leather sofa's. They work dam good on grime, not sure about grease or oil but it's worth a shot. To feed the leather afterwards you want a tin of saddle soap. It works a treat Very Happy Get it in any hardware store, or equestrian supplier. Neither are expensive.

Yeah one of my front tyres had no date on it & the fitter said the same thing must be pre 1980, probably the original making it 39 years old!! affraid Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Wed May 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks Andy, I'll give it a shot tomorrow Very Happy

Makes you wonder how many miles our cars have covered in the last decades? Probably most of the mileage has been clocked up in the first ten years, then mostly laid up I suppose Crying or Very sad

Can I pay on the day for Gaydon by the way? Noticed Jamie wanting application forms, is it mandatory or can I just turn up?

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Wed May 08, 2013 3:48 pm

...I use normal MPC (multi purpose cleaner) Jim when i cant get hold of TFR (traffic film remover) cus thats all interior cleaner is very strong MPC, get fluid not cream, dust it on neat before you wet the leather (on dry seats) and it'll lift the crap out more or less straight away, take it off in sections with a clean damp cloth and have a bucket of clean hot water to keep rinsing the cloth out so it dont just spread the muck about & change the water regular and it should come up for you with a bit of luck, carb/brake cleaner will take mucky boot scuffs off kick panels and lower door cards but be careful with that as it will strip the tanning off the leather fairly quick Very Happy
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top