Austin Allegro Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Austin Allegro Forum
Austin Allegro Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gearbox wanted

2 posters

Go down

gearbox wanted Empty gearbox wanted

Post  mp allegro Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:19 pm

im after a 1300 mk2 gearbox after speading money on a new clutch and having it fitted found out its the gearbox needs replacing it judders when pulling of and now i find i need to put it in to gear before i start it and then pull off.i do love this little allegro which i have had only a couple of weeks but not been able to enjoy it.as already its needed a new starter which is now sorted but now its the gearbox.Rolling Eyes

mp allegro

Back to top Go down

gearbox wanted Empty Re: gearbox wanted

Post  Sweeney Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi Mark, just read your posts and welcome to the forum! Very Happy ...what exactly is going off with the box? is it noisy and crunchy on gear change? and are you 100% sure its the gearbox at fault and not the clutch? reason im asking about the clutch is a fault there generally makes the engine judder the mounts when you let it out usually because the crankshaft primary seal leaks oil into it ...worn engine mounts can make gear selection very poor indeed in poor condition as that pulls the selector rods about and the engine can jump about also, Allegro's do eat engine mounts now cus the rubber parts on most have gave way just due to the age but replacements are available. The clutch slave cylinders have usually past their best also especially on a car that has been standing as damp gets in and corrodes the inside of the cylinder ending up in a 'loosing the clutch pedal' job, these can sometimes be fixed with a new seal kit but 90% are past redemption as a rule, it sounds like the clutch isnt fully disengaging with the engine running hence you having to start it up in gear... ...It may also be worth making sure the clutch disk hasnt been fitted the wrong way round as this makes the engine judder also ...just a few bullit points to check before writing off the gearbox Wink 

Have another good check and get back to us, then we can look at sorting another gearbox if it is that whats needed

...All the best ...Jamie Wink
Sweeney
Sweeney

Back to top Go down

gearbox wanted Empty allegro judder

Post  mp allegro Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:14 pm

hi,Jamie and thanks for the response I've taken the clutch out and found bits of broken metal and found out that the primary gear bush had broken so I now have a replacement and been told it needs to be reamed on so my other half's dad is going to fit it for me because this is my second one because I tryed to put it on myself and it went crack so I think I will leave that to someone else and hopefully that will solve it and I can get back on the road.

mp allegro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:32 pm

...Good stuff then that is, better than doing the box, Wink  A-series box bits are fairly easy to source but on reflection doing the 'on and off' bit with the clutch on those can be tricky at times and they'r world renowened for being very tight especially on an old motor cus id bet its not been disturbed for a few years, mine wasnt so bad as it was a nice oily E-series job thanks to the gear seal leaking and id guess it had soaked in a bit over a year or two.

Good bit of news, nice one, keep us posted Very Happy
Sweeney
Sweeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down