Austin Allegro Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Austin Allegro Forum
Austin Allegro Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Empty Re: allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project

Post  giz Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 am

i squeezed in 2 hours down the garage today, the spare parts/tools/rubbish was piling up in the back of the estate so pull pulled everything out and had a quick tidy.
then to make some room i unbolted the drivers seat but had to cut one stubborn bolt in half.
then as the rust was exposed i started making a repair panel for the front drivers side floor pan.

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2013

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2010

the angles aren't quite right yet but it shouldn't take too much work to be able to fit it.

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2011

after that's done i can move on to the seat mount

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2012

giz

Back to top Go down

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Empty Re: allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project

Post  giz Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:48 am

last nights progress.......

in have finished repairing the front drivers floor and i'm pleased with the way it looks.

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2019

i've got 2 patches to finish off in the rear and i think i'm going to have to start a full strip down so that i can roll the car onto it's side and give the underside the same treatment.
since the chassis also needs some attention i can do that at the same time. i really didn't want to have to roll it over but it's necessary i think since the floor pans are double skinned and the bottom skin is very very rotten Sad

and since i've got to do the full strip down i'll need somewhere to put all the parts, hence why all my surplus spares will be going on ebay as a job lot in the next few days.

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:08 am

the strip down has begun! i'm at a point now where i need more space, everything i have removed from the car is being put inside the car and i can't go any further until i find some where to put it all Laughing

the rear drivers floor has had a few patches in the mean time.

i have also removed the surface rust on the rear arch where i have found my second bit of filler, the first being in the drivers foot well! the arch is in pretty good condition, much better than i was expecting.

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2027

pictures of the strip down

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2022

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2023

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2024

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2025

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2026

yesterday i sent off my £5 postal order along withh a v888 to the dvla, hopefully what should come back is details of the former keepers, british leyland being the first and mr norwood being the second. as i all ready know who they were some might ask why i've bothered but having an official document confirming leyland as the original owners is the idea behind it. i'm also hoping they will be able to copy any other documents for me such as old v5's which they used to do but as everything is electronic now i doubt it.

Whilst i was at it and going to the post office anyway i decided i would write a letter addressed to the family of mr norwood, i have asked nicely if they can give me any more information, photos, memories etc and included a note pad, pen and sae. i have no idea if the family still live there but fingers crossed!

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:07 am

someone on another forum has rightly pointed out that it is not studley castle in the press photo!
after half an hour or so searching google images i have discovered it is in fact delhouise castle in Edinburgh!

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dalhousie_castle_front_GFDL

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:02 am

7 hours work over 2 nights and the front end is now as stripped as i want it to be for now, the only things left that will be removed at a later date are suspension and steering components.

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2028

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2029

i also had a poke at the windscreen/scuttle area and it looks like that needs attention too!

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2030

the next job is too empty the car into boxes and then start stripping out the rear interior, lights, bumper and push the rear side windows out. i'm going to have to replace the seals in both rear windows as they have rotted at the bottoms, does anyone know where i can get some new ones from?

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:16 am

the car is now 100% stripped except for the underside. Wednesday night 4 of us tipped it on to a pile of old tyres and now it's waiting for me to get some time off work so i can make a start on the rot underneath, it's not as bad as i thought Very Happy

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0010

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0011

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0012

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0013

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0014

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0015

underneath the petrol tank looks good.

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0016

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0017

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  john volts(admin) Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:46 am

how easy was it to trip on its side giz? as i thought about doing it to mine but thought it was to heavy

john volts(admin)
Admin

https://austinallegro.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:36 am

it wasn't too bad, as you can see everything has been removed so it's quite light now but there was 4 of us

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  rjacklin Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:07 am

Heyup, sorry I can't announce I've unearthed your cars history - but I did just want to say well done for making Practical Classics (December edition, page 24). Just reading through it now, and thought I recognised it, then it occured to me I'd seen it here!

Good luck with the quest and restoration!

rjacklin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:34 am

thank you, yes it was nice of them to offer to print my email. i've not heard anything yet but fingers crossed! i have been in touch with the people who write quartic magazine, the allegro club bi-monthly magazine, and my project is going to be followed as part of a regular piece for the magazine Very Happy 'Angie' is slowly getting back in the press Laughing

i have started on the underside of the floor now, there is a lot of underseal to get rid of which is being attacked with an angle grinder wire brush attachment.
this picture shows the top half almost back to bare metal.

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0018

this is the drivers side rear chassis mount, jacking point and lurking beneath is rot

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0019

this is the passenger side which is far worse, as you can see the chassis has snappped Sad

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0020

so it looks like the whole rear chassis will have to come off for some serious repair work.

i ran out of time last night but i have made a good start on where the rear floor meets the front, the strip that covers the join had rotted away so i've had to make another, both o/s and n/s have gone so i've had to guess how it should look.

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Dscf0021

i just have to clean up the welds a bit more and drill a couple of holes for drainage (i'm guessing) and i can move on to stripping the rear wheels/ chassis assembly.

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  rjacklin Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:57 am

Wow, I'm impressed! That's a lot of work and dedication. Good luck with the snapped chassis part, that looks chaotic. It's definiately worth saving though, Leyland press car or not. I can't even remember the last time I saw a restored Allegro estate.

Are you going to be keeping that very charming 1970's colour? I think it suits it. You put my Allegro resto attempts to shame!

rjacklin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:16 am

yes i have to keep it as it would have looked originally. the only things that won't be standard are the period after market smiths gauges that mr norwood added and a few improvements to the stereo which you won't be able to see.

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:44 am

i haven't really done much in the last few weeks for a number of reasons: christmas, putting a new engine in the mini and finding myself a small unit so andy can have his garage back Laughing - which i've spent the last 2 weeks clearing all the rubbish out of. it was the old carpenters stores at work and as you can imagine it had years of wood, shavings and general rubbish piled high and hasn't been used in probably 10 years. i've spent 8 hours cleaning it out so far and it's nearly done, just another hour or 2 sweeping and painting and the estate will have a new home.

any way this is where i was just before christmas:-
rear wheel assembly removed - which will now have to go back on for the transportation to the new unit,
hydro elastic fluid removed and all fluid/brake/fuel lines removed,
and a bit more cleaning.

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2036

whist i was cleaning the inside of the o/s/r arch i hound yet more rust Rolling Eyes

allegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Img_2037

and thats it for now, the next update will be once the car has been moved which won't be for 2 weeks or so

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  rjacklin Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:54 am

Haha. Typical that, as soon as your certain you've gotten all of the rust, you find some more. Then some more. It's looking more solid than a few I've seen, though. Including a 1983 Vauxhall Chevette that used to drive around not too far from me, quite how it was legal to drive was beyond me Laughing Anyway, keep up the good work on the yellow peril!

rjacklin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:43 am

thanks for the comment, i used to have an '83 chevette a few years back and that was pretty rotten too! fortunately none of the rot was within 100mm of a mounting point and passed mot's no problem Laughing

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:45 am

i found a list on wikipedia of scottish (national) papers and have emailed them all.
so far i have had 2 good responses and the rest are passing the email around to the relevant departments.

good response no.1 comes from the guardian:

Hi,

think this must be it. Appeared on Aug 11 1975

Best wishes
Richardallegro sdl estate ex leyland press car project - Page 2 Allegr10

which goes back to the whole proving it's my car and leyland changing the plates saga.....

good response no.2 comes from Greenock Telegraph

Further to your communication yesterday, I will try to help you.

The principal motoring journalist group in Scotland is the Association of Scottish Motoring Writers, which has just celebrated its 50th anniversary. I became a member around 1978 but had been doing occasional motoring articles for this paper earlier than this.

I knew the writers who would have been likely to have road tested your car if it was sent to Scotland. Unfortunately, all are now dead bar one.

Please send me details and an image of your car. I will then contact the sole former ASMW full member from these days and will also get in touch with the son of one of the late members. The latter followed his father's profession and may recall seeing the vehicle at his family home when he was a youngster.

Kind regards,

James Hunter

the last one is promising Very Happy

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  giz Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:11 am

Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by giz on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

giz

Back to top Go down

Post  norway_triumph Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:35 am

good luck with the sale. its an historic vehicle & deserves to be saved

norway_triumph

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2