Austin Allegro Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Austin Allegro Forum
Austin Allegro Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from South coast

3 posters

Go down

Hello from South coast Empty Hello from South coast

Post  Andy Perman Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and new to Allegro ownership. I have recently aquired an Allegro Vanden Plas I saw by chance from a scrapyard. Was totaly smitten and couldn't let a piece of British history go to the crusher so did a deal and took delivery of the car 4 days later. Plan is to restore the car over the winter ready for MOT next spring and back on the road. Car is a 1974 MK1 Auto Vanden plas in Mirage. Has not been taxed since 2000 and looks to have been stood for quite a while.

Overall the car is in reasonable shape for being 37 years old. Main problems are no brakes at all, Lots of electrical problems and badly failed engine mountings all to sort out. More updates and pictures to follow.

Thanks for a great site full of like minded Allegro owners !

Andy.

Andy Perman

Back to top Go down

Hello from South coast Empty Re: Hello from South coast

Post  rjacklin Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:35 am

Hello! Sorry about having not replied to your post since October! My life got a bit hectic. Still have a very warm, and very late, welcome to the Allegro forums.

Best of luck with the restoration! Hopefully you'll be able to network with other users who may be able to help you out with a whole raft of parts and tips.

I'm glad you saved it from the crusher! Not many VP's left around now. I always thought they looked like a baby Rolls Royce with that front grille! Have fun with the electrical systems ;] I'm guessing that they're mostly Lucas. Luckily it sounds like your suspension is OK; that's a tricky part to tackle.

Since you posted in October, hope the restoration is well under way!

Rob.

rjacklin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:36 am

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your warm welcome to this site.

Yes, the restoration is ongoing, although quite slowly as time is limited just now. I've fixed the brakes, replaced the rear wheel cylinders and the four fexi hoses & the handbrake cable which did the trick. Also replaced seals in the callipers & the master as a precaution.

Engine is running now, just needed plugs & points, some fuel and a lot of cranking! Have repaired the fuel tank as it had small leak, discovered when I was getting the engine going!! Most of the electrical problems were due to the fuses in the fusebox being quite tarnished. Gave them a clean and hey presto mostly sorted, just the blower fan still doesn't seem to work so I need to investigate that some more, plus I'll give the matrix a flush out whilst I'm in there.

Jobs still left to do are replace the engine mountings & tie-bar bushes which have all perished & torn away on both sides, then put a new exhaust system on. I'll service the swivel joints too while I've got the front end up. Oh yes and one of the steering gaiters has a split so needs replacing, Plus I'll do an oil change and service on engine. Need to change the radiator too as it's weeping in several places.

Having the front end up on stands gave me a chance to check if the gearbox is working, It seems to change up and down ok, but have heard from other allegro owners these auto boxes can be a bit temperamental. Also, noticed the kick-down thingy seems to be missing the part connecting the throttle to the lever on the gearbox?

I'm enjoying working on the 'old girl', nice to have an engine bay you can actually get your hands around!! I'm looking forward to getting on the road with her too, which should hopefully be this spring/summer if time permits of course....

I'll upload some pictures of the progress so far and thanks again for the positive comments.

Andy.

Andy Perman

Back to top Go down

Post  rjacklin Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:36 am

Excellent! Glad that the electrics were just down to tarnished fuses; troubleshooting electrical systems is the stuff my nightmares are made of. I look forward to seeing pics of your progress up here. So very few VP's left running these days, can't even think where I last saw one! I'm not an expert on auto boxes, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you out. If there's bits missing, I'd hazard a guess that somethings awry!

rjacklin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Hello from South coast Empty Update and pics?

Post  Jimbo Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi Andy,,

how's the resto going?

I've started mine, and aside from the mechanical issues, which I think I've got covered in the next couple of weeks, I want to get the cosmetics sorted out - lots of bad overspray where there should be chrome etc.. so pics of your motor would be helpful Very Happy

Cheers,

Jim

Jimbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi Jim,

Yes resto going OK, albeit very slowly as I always seem to be working just now. Got all the bits I need, mostly from the 'bay' but some I got from the Allegro owners club, parts that were special to the auto mostly as these are rarer than hen's teeth. Exhaust I got from Earlparts.

Had some paint made up to match mine, it's Mirage (BL 07) & was only ever put on 2 cars so very rare colour I found out through allegro club. Anyway sent my petrol flap off to paint shop for match and it's spot on so I can do my own painting in as I go which saves time and loads of money. Also checked back on the history a bit. She was one of the first ones out the factory only a month into production (5th Nov 74), and was bought by a solicitors wife, postcode The Strand - london where she spent the first 20 years of her life. I'm going to write to the address to see if she's still there, or even alive. Long shot but worth a try.

Anyway - mechanical bits: Engine running & sweet. New radiator, hoses and water pump to fit yet. New exhaust is on, just needs clamping up. Carb overhauled & cleaned as it had been run without filter for a while, fortunately no damage done. Rear brakes sorted out, replaced cylinders & shoes & flexi hoses. One front hub overhauled, new caliper seals & flexi hose. New bearing & CV boots. New steering bellows. New tie bar & bushes. Got the same to do on other side yet. Petrol tank removed, fixed, painted & replaced. Fitted unleaded converter to fuel line & replaced dead sender unit. Yippee fuel gauge works now !!

Electricals - mostly fusebox causing the problem. Cleaned all the contacts & fuses with emery paper. Pretty much sorted them all out. Just got the heater fan to sort out as it is dead. I'll give the matrix a clean whilst i'm in there to. New headlamps & foglamps to fit, mine are a bit corroded on the rear. Got some good units from the 'bay'.

Interior - launderd all the carpets & they came up like new. Changed the dash surround (black bit) as mine was sun bleached. Changed the rear parcel shelf as mine was stained. Fed the leather & got some good British leyland footwell mats so the interior is looking great - except the headlining which is shot. Not worked out how to replace this yet.

Jobs to do (hopefully over the winter) are: Strip the front of the car (lights bumper etc). Rust spot & paint. Re-fit everything plus new lights etc. Fit new rad grille. Overhaul the other front hub + replace boots & bellows. Fit the new rad, hoses & pump. Change both engine mounts (these were damm hard to find) then clamp up the exhaust. Finally sort out the kick down thingy as mine was removed for some reason, and put in the boot so I can't select 4th gear in D!!

Then mot and on the road - can't wait it's such a happy feel good car. I'll waxoyl all the panels & hard to get into bits next summer when she's out of the workshop.

How do you upload pictures on here, got loads of the resto so far & could share them.

Looks like your resto is underway already, looking good.

Andy.

Andy Perman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Wow,

big list of jobs there Andy, but all affordable and doable I think on the Allego Very Happy

I've started a couple of "how to" threads as I can't find any pics on this forum or any guides particular to this site - not too hard once you've got a photo hosting account in something like photobucket Very Happy If I can do it, anyone can Laughing

We need pictures I think, really helps problem solving and keeping things interesting!

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum