Austin Allegro Forum

2013 Meets - time to start thinking about possibilities

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2013 Meets - time to start thinking about possibilities

Post  Jimbo on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Whilst I've got it on my mind, I think we should put aside some dates in our diaries for meets/shows Very Happy

As we don't seem to have enough contributors on here to do a stand-alone meet, unless it's up my driveway to make it look full, then we ought to think about piggy-backing other car shows/clubs, probably British Leyland based, or whatever, I'm open to suggestions Very Happy

Something in the middle of the country, close to the spiritual home of our cars and their birthplace would probably be most convenient for members, or selfishly, Up North is just fine.

I suggest we pool ideas, then choose two or three over the year to concentrate on, perhaps this will incentivise some projects to completion - you can't beat a deadline for spurring jobs on Laughing

Without wishing to jinx myself, my VdP is ready to roll now, albeit scruffily with AA card in glovebox at all times Cool

Plus we can load our boots up and trade bits Wink

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2013 Meets - time to start thinking about possibilities

Post  Sweeney on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:09 pm

...Id like to think this would be worth a gatecrash? (try not to crash into the gates tho) Very Happy
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

pride of Longbridge meet 2013

Post  Jimbo on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:11 am

Good find Jamie,
according to http://www.austinlongbridgefederation.co.uk/ forum it's April 13th this year, and was held at Cofton Park, Longbridge, so this definitely one to bookmark, and stick it on your New Year diary Very Happy

I'm excited already Laughing

I think perhaps a new thread for this one, organising and so on?

Then we need one for mid summer, and finally an end of season September/October?

Shouldn't take too long frankly Embarassed

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi Guy's,

I agree, unless I've got a deadline i'll never finish my car off!!

Keep an eye on the Allegro club events diary here: http://www.allegroclubint.org.uk/events.html They have events all over the UK & would welcome anyone with Allegro's or passing interest. I'm a member so could do any booking etc.

It's all 2012 stuff just now but should get updated in the new year. I went to the national event last year (pic's below) at the haynes museum. Good bunch of guys.

Also, selfishly being a southerner, the classic car day at beaulieu national car museum is a damm good day. If your car is registerd before 1987 you simply turn up, no need to book & you get into the museum for free. Good mix of cars & certainly not concourse Very Happy

Some pictures of the ACI national event:
1500 Special (blue) Limited edition

Mint VDP series 2, we can all dream maybe one day....

Another very late VDP

More allegro's than you can wave a stick at....

There was not a single Mk 1 VDP there, getting very rare these days Very Happy

Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:21 am

They're going to love Jamie's Quartic wearing series one then Cool Laughing

I do fancy that Beaulieu day out - all of them really Laughing

I know from experience when going on other sites it's great when they have the year's calendar mapped out early - you can get the casual owner dropping in to ask advice etc.. like I have done in the past without neccessarily getting involved in the forums, I think if we nail some events down, then even if we all can't make them, at least it helps the floating Allegro/ wannabe owners Very Happy

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 pm

...Im up for as many as I can get to, Toolbox, Straight Bar and Fire Extinguisher in the boot, ...I should make it Shocked
...Id better swap my Quartic back in then on those days, normal runnings now with a wood rim Mountney Very Happy
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi Guy's

Thought I'd re-tickle this thread as I'm going to miss the Pride of Longbridge show this coming Saturday. Cold weather has kept my workload at near full tilt levels, not that i'm complaining Very Happy but it's left no free time to get the old girl ready in time. Close but no cigar Sad

What shows do you think you would be attending later this spring/summer? I don't mind a bit of a drive, the old girl will certainly need it after around 13 years laid up, albeit nervously and with a recovery card to hand Very Happy

Couple of local to me shows I'll attend are the south hants vehicle preservation society show, at Petersfield 02 June 2013 Times: 10.00 - 16.00. Any car over 25 years old welcome. Been a couple of Allegro owners there last couple of years so be good to swell the numbers....

Also would like to go to the beaulieu classic car day at the national motor museum. Again any car over 25 years old welcome no pre-booking and get into the museum events for free Very Happy No dates yet but it's usually end of August time.

I also want to check out the Dorset great steam fair as last year they had vintage cars there as well. No Allegro's, but there was 1 Austin 1300 VP auto, chap had driven from north wales!! Not sure how you organise getting in yet but dates are also end of August so may clash with Beaulieu. If dates don't clash this fair is a great day out, plenty of steam horsepower!!!

Appreciate these are all south coast centric, but any other suggestions chaps?? Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Aaaargh!

I totally took my eye off the ball Embarassed

I forgot this meet was so early in the calendar, and with the crappy weather, it hasn't seemed like time to get the classics out till today, coupled with the deaths of an Aunty and an Uncle (different sides of the family) on Easter weekend, it comes inbetween their funerals Crying or Very sad

I really think I might miss this meet, unless I can work a minor miracle Crying or Very sad

Andy, did you dig out that locking washer from your Dad's stockpile? It's the one thing I need, as well as tax, to get roadworthy enough to have any chance of getting to Longbridge, says he, tempting fate again Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Yes, got the part in workshop, just not got round to post office. I'll get it to you this week as finally work load is a tad lighter. I will check it goes on my rear hub first though as dad did have mini's as well as allegro's and heard they are different parts. Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:46 am

Thanks Andy, even if I can't get to Longbridge, at least I'll get rolling on the Queen's Highways Very Happy

Cheers,
jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:53 pm

...We'r still going, taking both cars, im taking mine and Charlie is taking his, both being driven down NOT trailored ...both motors have devoloped various faults this week in 'dirty protests' Razz ...they'r both going Very Happy ...kicking and screaming trust me Very Happy ...they'r going Wink
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:11 pm

I feel really bad now, but I've got to drive to my Aunty's funeral in Southampton on Thursday, at 2pm, then straight back to Leeds, a good 600 mile round trip I think, drop my Daughter and her friend off at Leeds airport on Friday afternoon, we've got our niece's from London staying Friday evening till Sunday evening - I'm buggered I'm afraid.

Then on Monday, it's my Uncle's funeral in Manchester - he was a City fan and had no love for Thatch, so at least he had a good day today (my Aunty was a United fan, not sure of her political views, but she knew United had basically won the League when she died, so maybe both are happy?)

This is all costing me a small fortune in petrol, spending money, and entertaining two teenage girls for a weekend, it would be much cheaper to drive to Longbridge in the VdP, but it's not to be it seems Rolling Eyes

I'm hoping you and Charlie keep our end up Jamie, lots of pics please of all the lovely BL motors Very Happy

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:33 pm

...will do, i'll make sure theres some decent coverage for you to view, im hoping to see the allegro international bunch and see what they'r all about, i dont do car clubs as a rule but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt, we shall see, i want a bit more than a list of overpriced bits in somebodys shed, a 12 month out of date webpage and 4 newsletters a year on a couple of sides of A4 for the fees most of them usually charge as a rule ...been there Razz if the weather holds out it should be a cracking day all being well, a bit early in the season still i think personally especially with the weather being a bit slow to warm up this year it might have put a few peeps back a month with not getting their cars out with the salt still being put down on the roads quite late this year again.

...Lets hope its a large turnout, fingers crossed, straightbar, toolbox, fire extinguisher Very Happy
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Glad to hear you're going to make it Jamie, I would have loved to join you, looking forward to the pictures. Cold weather has kept me away from the workshop late this winter so no progress for weeks now. I was looking forward to Longbridge too, maybe next year... If you meet up with the Allegro club guy's, they certainly know your car as it was discussed when it came up for sale. Sure they'll make you welcome.

Jim, if you're in Southampton on saturday then your going to be within 12 miles of me. If your time allows swing by, i'll make sure the kettle is on, sure i can find some biscuits to. You can pick up that washer & boot carpet to..... Let me know??

Cheers..... Andy

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks for the kind offer Andy, but the funeral is on Thursday Crying or Very sad

That's a shame, I'd like to see your baby in the flesh, but I think the Missus and my Daughter won't be impressed by a detour to see an Allegro Rolling Eyes (or any car apparently Laughing )

We'd better sort out the next available meet this year, and I'll put it on the fridge so I can't miss it Embarassed

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:28 am

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/event/allegro-40th-allegro-club-international/#.UWWf8MUczs0

...must be worth a visit and/or a gatecrash? 12th May 2013 The Heritage Motor Centre, CV35 0BJ Very Happy
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

Yeah, good find Jamie. 12th May Shocked better take a week off and roll up my sleeve's Very Happy I'm up for that if you guy's are?? Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:58 pm

...Id guess thats the most important one being the 40th year of the Allegro launch, we'r going all being well + there is something on the same day involving slotcars & scalextric Wink
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:00 pm

...Pride Of Longbridge 2013 Allegro Line Up Very Happy
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

...it was a good turnout, 21 Allegro's Wink
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:39 pm

You made it OK then?? no breakdowns?? Looks like a really good turnout. I think the Allegro club was trying to get 40 cars there for the anniversary - big ask. Maybe at the next one in Gaydon?

Nice to see a good number of older Allegro's (M & N plate) there. At the national event last year it was mostly later versions attending. Did you speak to some of the guy's? I recognise some of the cars from the owners club.

I'm pressing on hard with mine now, will move heaven and earth to make the Gaydon show. Very Happy

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:33 pm

...yeah we got there and back with no issues Very Happy spoke to a couple from the club, nice friendly bunch really i was quite impressed, i didnt get much chance to see much of the rest of the show to be honest because there was very much to talk about with the other Allegro's there + myself & Charlies being 'new cars' to the scene we had a very busy time, i was very suprised how much interest the cars generated, loads more than we expected all round, it was a great day.

I got some really good pointers of advice too with one or two bits i had in mind which im quite greatful for allready Wink

Next up is the one on the 12th of May at Gaydon for the 40th, Looking forward to that! Very Happy
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Austin All-Afro

Post  misterinley on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:07 pm

Request from Jamie - Put an afro on my car so heres my rough pic i threw together....

misterinley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:06 pm

...This is what happens when a vinyl roof gets wet Very Happy
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Ha Ha Very Happy Fantastic - but you forgot the mahoooosive sideburns Laughing