Austin Allegro Forum

My Vanden Plas Auto Resto

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Vanden Plas Auto Resto

Post  Andy Perman on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:22 am

Hi all,

Hope you all had a great Christmas, ate & drank tooooo much. Thats what it's all about.

Some new pictures of the 'old girl'. Enjoy! Some boot one's included Jim, hope they're of some use.

Rear, pretty much original but had a good polish!

Front, being restored

Front through screen, with original Vanden Plas log-book

Front partly dismantled for rust proofing & painting. Tie bar mountings quite corroded

Rear interior. Hardly been used

Interior view from the rear. Pretty much done & OK

In the drivers seat !!

Some engine bay views - plenty to do here !!!

Boot views, both sides with original tool-bag

Boot bits - spare wheel in jacket. Spare hubcap. Tool bag with jack & handle (in BL colour) hubcap lever & boot carpet

Been shopping............

Might 'Pimp my Ride'..... What do you think?

All the best. Andy.

Last edited by Andy Perman on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A revelation!

Post  Jimbo on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Excellent work Andy Very Happy

It's all coming together nicely isn't it?

The boot and contents pictures are indeed a massive help to me, I did not know that was where the spare wheel lived if you have one Rolling Eyes , and the black carpet is a surprise - I have a grey one which is plainly not out of an Allegro, it fits nowhere at all - time to make a new one, and coincidentally I do have some black carpet ideal for the job Very Happy

Did you say you had some bits and bobs for me? Let me know what you have, and i'll update my list of requirements, which I keep clearing, then adding to when I realise what's missing Wink

I'm on with trimming the edges of my new carpet by hand, which is very time consuming, pictures and progress to follow soon I hope,

Merry Christmas,

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Vanden Plas Auto Resto

Post  Sweeney on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:30 pm

...Looks a tidy machine that does Andy, nice one, The VP's look well in white, yours is the 1st ive seen upto yet Very Happy
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Happy New Year!

Post  Jimbo on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:43 am

I totally agree, white is a great colour for the VdP Cool

Have you seen the one on Ebay I posted about Jamie?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-AUSTIN-ALLEGRO-WHITE-spares-or-repair-/221171382756?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item337ed779e4

Someone's made a bid already Very Happy

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Latest progress......

Post  Andy Perman on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi guy's,

Thanks for positive comments, really helps motivate me on the car in the cold. - yes the white looks good with the chrome I think and there is plenty of chrome on the type 1 Very Happy
My colour is Mirage, which is kind of a pale grey/mauve, almost pearlescent looking & very rare. Just looks white in the photo's though !!!

Anyway, been some more progress over the last few days, managed to strip most of the LHS front & rust treat & paint. here's some pic's...

The front LHS after painting.

Close up views

After painting

Inner front panel 'black jacked'. Ready for rebuilding....

I need some help with this part?? It's bolted to the front of the engine (blue thing), one wire coming out the top & it's hanging not connected. Any idea what it's supposed to connect to??

Cheers. Andy

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:52 pm

...yeah ive seen that one Jim, stuck it on the old watch list Wink

...Not sure what that blue thing is Andy, below is the oil pressure switch I know that much, is it an additional switch to send to an additional temp gauge or oil pressure gauge? ...just a hunch? ...mines not got one so Im also wondering if its an autobox feature? Wink

...Just to motivate a bit more, taxed mine at midnight so i could drive it from the 1st, the cover was off, started up warmed up and off I went for a spin at 00:30, Now thats hardcore! ...didnt get far, lost the clutch, leaky pipe but he got me back ok! Cool

Last edited by Sweeney on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:00 pm

My guess is it's a suppressor of some sort, maybe for an old style radio? I'll have a look in my Haynes, and look on my car tomorrow Very Happy

Are you painting with rattle cans Andy? How are you finding matching paint? I'm rubbish at this kind of job Embarassed

Need to get back to carpeting tomorrow, been overeating and watching too much telly, need to be more productive I think Very Happy

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Ha Ha your story made me laugh Jamie!! I look forward to jumping in my old girl and giving her the chance to break down !!

Yes, using rattle cans Jim. I had the paint made at Turners Trade Paints - http://www.turnerstradepaints.co.uk/ Found out my paint colour & code from an old paint chart I got online. Took off petrol flap & posted it to them for exact colour match & it's spot on. They mail-ordered cans & my flap back within couple of days. Would highly recomend them. I would guess your paint type is Cellulose, same as mine? I likewise hate bodywork stuff, takes bloody ages to get a decent finish, plus even longer keeping the workshop warm enough for painting in this weather !!!

The blue thing might be a supressor I guess, didn't think of that - I do have a radio fitted. Only noticed it was hanging loose as I've removed the wiring loom completely away from the front panel for painting.

Let me know what bit's your after, I have quite a few parts, plus my Dad has loads of old BL stuff in his garage. When I'm mobile we can meet & swap spares Very Happy

Cheers. Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:43 pm

...im feeling all left out now ...mines never had any audio fitted at all ...im not bothered about fitting any either, I couldnt take a hacksaw to the dash to fit one now, it wouldnt be right would it? Shocked
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 am

Sweeney wrote:...im feeling all left out now ...mines never had any audio fitted at all ...im not bothered about fitting any either, I couldnt take a hacksaw to the dash to fit one now, it wouldnt be right would it? Shocked

Wow, I'd forgotten the days when your new car might not have a stereo Shocked

Me personally, I like my music, and a bluetooth connection for the mobile, so I guess it's a personal choice, as always. I must admit, visually it might detract, but are you that bothered?

Santa has brought me a new stereo from Aldi, £49.99, via my grown up Daughter, going to fit it today I think, and it's got a black fascia, not silver, so should blend in quite well Laughing

I'll take some pics later anyway,

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:22 am

Just had a look in the Haynes for that blue thingy - no mention Rolling Eyes

However, I do have one, which is earthed obviously like yours Andy, but the wire goes to my coil, which seems to me to back up my theory it's a suppressor for the older radio/stereo's maybe?

No blue thingy where your's was, but...........

I fitted my stereo, so I'll post the pics on my thread for continuity,

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Todays progress 06/01

Post  Andy Perman on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi all,

Been a little progress with the old girl today, work has kicked back in like an anvil after the Christmas break so much less spare time to 'tinker' Crying or Very sad

Anyway, got most of the offside front re-built after painting and made a good start on the nearside front which is by far the worst condition area of the car so quite a lot of time spent getting it this far and it still looks grotty !! Still, it's not far away from priming & painting now which makes all the difference......

LHS (offside) front partly re-built after painting.

Close up view of the restored lights & new paintwork.

RHS (offside) front wing to front panel seam has rotted, so ground out & rust treated ready for welding up

By far the worst condition area of the car here - gets the rust treatment works.

All welded up & seam filler added. Just needs a final sand down now before painting can start.

Ran out of time in the end, I wanted to get the primer on as the workshop was nice and warm with the heaters on but wasn't to be today. This is by far the worst bit of the car for some reason, it's not fared well & is in noticably much poorer condition than everywhere else. No nasty ROT though as that is usually terminal Evil or Very Mad

Thanks for help on the blue thingy - yes I think it must be a suppressor. I'll connect it up to the coil +ve when I re-build the front.

How's the carpeting going? Long job I guess.

Cheers. Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Carpets

Post  Jimbo on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Good work Andy Very Happy

I've pulled my finger out, and got on with the carpeting, and it's mostly finished, and in the car Very Happy

However, I've been edging it by hand stitching, with mixed results, but low cost Wink

I shall post some pics on my thread when I'm happy to show all, I never expected perfection, as it's a rolling resto, and it needs to keep on being driven, so every job has a time limit on it - cars parked up usually don't tend to get finished in my own experience Embarassed

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:19 pm

The weather warmed up enough to get on with painting the right hand side front today. Got the heaters on, workshop nice and warm!! - and then it started raining Evil or Very Mad Anyway here's the progress:

Front brackets & trims painted

Can put it all back together now!!! Updates to follow. Andy.

Last edited by Andy Perman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Good to see you making progress Andy Very Happy

I've not done anything the last week or so on my vehicles, but hopefully I can get some progress next week, most likely the week after in reality, but we'll see Rolling Eyes

At least it's stopped snowing Laughing

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Ha! Don't believe it. Just seen the forecast for tomorrow/Weds, More bloody snow coming Evil or Very Mad

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 pm

No point in me putting my battery back on the old girl yet Crying or Very sad

Anyone got any experience of Allegro's in the snow?

I imagine they're pretty good, wheel at each corner, FWD etc Very Happy

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 pm

I'd guess they would be quite good in snow, skinny tyres to dig in further, engine weight over the driving wheels Very Happy Quick - put the battery on!!

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:28 pm

...they are good in the snow, ive got a V6 Mondeo Mk3 with 18's and the Allegro makes it look very silly indeed in the snow, narrow tyres work loads better Very Happy
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sexy Beast !!!!

Post  Andy Perman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi all,

mostly put the front back together today despite the terrible weather & the heater going up in a spectacular flash after only an hour's running!!

RHS almost there - just the side lights to go once the underseal in the wing has dried (never in this weather!!)

Front almost built after painting

The crown is back in it's rightful place Very Happy

Really glad all that painting is done - not my favorite job and it takes sooooo long especially with these weather conditions making everything damp and unworkable Sad

Radiator brackets & the horns restored & painted - indoors by this point as I was damm cold pale

Got the side lights on RHS to restore & install next along with the lower front panel which I have to paint yet. Then back onto the mechanics of the front hubs Very Happy

Found this (well took it from the skip whilst no one was looking actually Twisted Evil ) at the local refuse dump the other day. It's a 1967 Bush record player that somebody had thrown out and it now works after I replaced the defective pilot lamp which also acts as the fuse Very Happy

Nice bit of retro history Smile

Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:35 pm

I wish I had a heated garage Andy!

It's snowing again here, got no central heating as my boiler motor has burnt out, it's all gonna hit my wallet Evil or Very Mad

I like the "dansette" (I think that's right isn't it?), my mate has got into them, keeps buying them on Ebay, and fixing them, says they're quite easy Very Happy

We used to have them in my youth, then when my big brother splashed out on a stereo system, with combined tape player and radio, we were truly in awe Laughing

keep up the good work Very Happy

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Well I don't have a heated garage now either Evil or Very Mad Hopefully it's nothing serious & I can fix it quickly Question It was quite spectacular - big blue flash and a pop, then it all went quiet Shocked Fortunately I'd finished the painting by then so no harm done.

Which motor has burnt out in your boiler? pump or fan? Before you chuck your wallet at it just check (if you haven't already) it's not one of the fuses on the main PCB as they do blow & cause the pump/fan to stop Evil or Very Mad

I'll upload a video later of the record player in action - it's bringing back memories of my youth Very Happy Yeah, easy to work on. Things were then, parts you can actually change & room to work

Got the bit between my teeth now to finish the car - mostly inspired by you guys on here getting to the shows this year, otherwise I probably would have never got it done.

Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 am

...Nice bit of work done there Andy! Very Happy Keep cracking on with it, looking great! soon be ready for Pride Of Longbridge? Very Happy
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Had a bit of spare time today so put it to good use & got a bit more done..... here's the progress

Front fully completed

RHS inner wing painted

LHS inner wing condition before work starts Shocked Quite rusty but nothing too serious

Master cylinder condition when I removed it - good job I've a new one to fit Very Happy

Getting rust treated

Then painted.....

Hoping to have all works done in time for Pride of Longbridge Very Happy Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:38 am

Excellent progress there Andy Cool

I have just noticed your AA badge, and how it looks fantastic slap bang in the middle of your grille - makes me want to go and get one and do the same Very Happy

My Daimler has an RAC badge to one side, I think I shall revisit it, see if I can't improve it, or maybe leave well alone Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top