Austin Allegro Forum

My Vanden Plas Auto Resto

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SHVPS show Butser hill

Post  Andy Perman on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Nice local show on Sunday 2nd June with a varied mix of cars from the 20's to 80's. Sun was shining too Very Happy

Had a nice spot Very Happy

There was one other Allegro there, a blue Vanden Plas Very Happy

Very nice day, will go next year for sure. Also found a replacement embellisher to replace my missing one Very Happy Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Vanden Plas Auto Resto

Post  Jimbo on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Sunny day, lovely cars, were you abroad Andy Laughing Laughing

I had a Dolomite I got from my big brother a good twenty years ago, disintegrated in a pile of rust, but I loved it, same colour as that one in the pics, but a 1300 engine - happy memories - I guess that's what I love about used cars, and the more used the more memories and stories they could tell Very Happy

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:59 pm

...A few nice bits of machinery there Very Happy ...that P6 looks really rather nice, had a twinkle in my eye for one of those for quite some time now, proper Rovers Cool
Sweeney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Low oil pressure investigation

Post  Andy Perman on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:14 pm

I noticed when I fitted the gauge set back in May that the oil pressure indicated seemed a bit low. I put it down at the time to gauge inaccuracy until last week when I noticed the oil lamp had started to illuminate at idle, or when putting the autobox in drive, or reverse - time for action otherwise it's going to cost me an engine and gearbox Shocked 

Gauge was indicating 15 to 20 psi when above idle and driving, less than 10 psi at idle accompanied by oil lamp coming on so something clearly was not right.

First things first, drained the oil and removed the oil filter housing & oil head. When checking with the Haynes book, noticed I seemed to be missing a few parts, the spring, the cone thing and all the steel & sealing washers. The filter element was therefore flopping around inside and the oil was probably bypassing the filter completely Evil or Very Mad 

Inside the oil filter housing, fished out a random part not shown in the manual Question  It looks like part of an old filter element I think and shouldn't be there for sure.

Fortunately my dad had a complete oil head in his garage, so retrived the missing parts I needed. Next took out the oil pressure relief valve, found it jammed part open, so soaked it in petrol & free'd it off Very Happy 

Re-filled and tested. At idle Very Happy 

At 1200 with drive selected (brakes on obviously!!) Very Happy 

Looks like it's sorted. Certainly drives better, much more power Very Happy 

As I had another hour to spare and my hands were already mucky, changed a split steering bellows I noticed few weeks back & re-charged with oil

Then fitted my lovely period Panasonic radio cassette I got from the 'bay' as my radio didn't work Very Happy

Good couple of hours work Very Happy 
Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidF2 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:22 am

Andy Perman wrote:Nice local show on Sunday 2nd June with a varied mix of cars from the 20's to 80's.  Sun was shining too Very Happy

There was one other Allegro there, a blue Vanden Plas Very Happy
 Andy.
Hi first post, on the forum, I just bought the blue VP shown at this show. should be delivered in a week or so. looking forward to it.
DavidF2

View user profile http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Welcome to the forum & congratulations on your purchase. Very Happy 

I know Geoff's car, have seen it at several of the shows this year, tidy machine that. I was very tempted to buy it myself, but have no space to store it (in the dry) plus the missus would have done her nut Twisted Evil Nice buy.  Are you local to the south coast?

Here's another picture of your car I got at the Selsey summer show......

And another at the same show....

If you have the car in time and fancy a run out it's the Autumn rally this coming Sunday 29th at the museum of rural life Milton Keynes. It's a three club rally, the Allegro, Maxi & landcrab - should be a good day.

Keep us posted of your purchase & hope to see you and the car about.    Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Autumn rally @ Milton Keynes Museum of rural life. Great day so thanks to all who helped organise it. Even the weather was good!!

On the A3 - at speed !!

Oil pressure holding up now....

Approaching the Hindhead tunnel

Merv's engine bay - we can all dream.....

Here's the old girl.....

Maxi & Merv's Allegro leaving Milton Keynes - at speed!!

Great day out, thanks all involved.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd MOT is due so.....

Post  Andy Perman on Tue May 06, 2014 2:21 pm

Well, it's been a year since the 'old girl' was restored and put back on the road and the 2nd MOT is now looming so I've made a start - on the starter  Very Happy  Not exactly MOT work but the cranking has been getting slower and when I started to investigate the terminal on the solenoid was beginning to melt so time for an overhaul...... Very Happy 

The lead has started to melt  Shocked 

Starter removed and solenoid taken off - pre-engaged type looks in pretty good shape so far..

Partially dissmantled solenoid still looks OK

Un-soldering the contact cap. I guess these were originally not designed to be dissmantled, just replaced. But in the absence of any available replacement needs must   Very Happy 

Fully dissmantled & the fault is arcing damage and oxidisation on the top contact....   Rolling Eyes 

More to follow.....

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Starter and MOT works

Post  Andy Perman on Sun May 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Bank holiday weekend. Sun kinda shinning and the MOT now booked for Sat 31st  affraid 

Ground and polished the solenoid contacts...

Solenoid all back together & rust treated

May as well service & lube the starter motor whilst it's off the car..

Brush plate

All parts serviced, rust treated & ready for re-assembly

As good as a factory restored unit  Very Happy 

Servicing the swivel joints - taking out some slight play & changing the grease

Service time - the old spark plugs are text book 'brown' so all looks well with the engine & tuning

New oil, filters, plug, points etc....

Replaced points & condensor - setting up the dwell  silent 

Service completed. Engine bay given a quick 'spruce over'  Very Happy Started engine - starter spinns over effortlessly now like new

Rear hubs now. Replaced cylinders, shoes & wheel bearings, plus cleaned & rust treated  Smile 

Old bearings coming out.....

Hub complete. Repeat for LHS  Shocked 

Rust treating the wheels

Replaced the fuel gauge sender unit whilst the rear end was up in the air.  Rust treated tank last year so all looks OK here  Very Happy 

Thats it - good days work & ready for MOT on Sat, then (hopefully if it passes) SHVPS show on Sunday 1st June  Very Happy 
Andy.

Andy Perman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  john volts(admin) on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:20 pm

really impressed no longer own an allegro but good to see these cars getting restored

john volts(admin)
Admin

View user profile http://austinallegro.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top