Austin Allegro Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Austin Allegro Forum
Austin Allegro Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster new Battery! - cured a couple of ills at the same time

3 posters

Go down

Monster new Battery! - cured a couple of ills at the same time Empty Monster new Battery! - cured a couple of ills at the same time

Post  Jimbo Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29 am

Bought a new Bosch battery from Andrew page motor factors in leeds for £64.54, and fitted it today Very Happy

It's a 60ah, with 540 cca (cranking over power), which is considerably beefier than the two single ones I removed (see my other posts for that saga Evil or Very Mad ), and I believe has more power than the standard battery, which if I read the manual right is a 40/50ah Lucas A9/A11, I guess the A11 on bigger engined Allegros like my 1500?

Monster new Battery! - cured a couple of ills at the same time IMG_0072

Whilst testing it out, I refitted the wire to the radiator temperature switch, which if you're read my other post, was coming on, but not switching off, and to my deep joy, the switch started to behave as it should! Result! Either the pushing on and off of the connector sorted it, or perhaps the better resistance from a decent battery let it do it's thing, or perhaps it just started to work again through useage? Either way, it's behaving, which is slightly annoying as I ordered a new switch on ebay for nearly twenty quid inc P&P Rolling Eyes

I also bought some new spark plugs, but not had time to fit them before it got dark -

Monster new Battery! - cured a couple of ills at the same time IMG_0076

And here's a picture of her in my yard, looking exactly the same but underneath considerably improved and more reliable Laughing

Monster new Battery! - cured a couple of ills at the same time IMG_0077

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

Back to top Go down

Monster new Battery! - cured a couple of ills at the same time Empty Re: Monster new Battery! - cured a couple of ills at the same time

Post  Sweeney Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:19 am

...Looking well Jim, nice one, I can see a big improvement already Wink ...Ive got the same issue at the moment with my radfan switch, its had a loop and switch added to overide it and bring it in early if needed but it does stay on if i leave it connected to the rad switch thus shorting it out now but i guess mine is suspect, for the sake of 20 quid its a good bit of insurance to help not to overheat & blow a head gasket, new thermostat and a rad switch is on my list too Very Happy
Sweeney
Sweeney

Back to top Go down

Monster new Battery! - cured a couple of ills at the same time Empty Re: Monster new Battery! - cured a couple of ills at the same time

Post  Jimbo Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:37 am

I've ordered a new water pump too, just in case, they're pennies on ebay for the right one Laughing

Because someone has seen fit to remove the thermostat, I'm prepared for overheating issues come summer, but so far the rad looks fine, and hasn't misbehaved on the 200 mile journey collecting her - we'll see what happens I suppose?

Cheers,

Jim

Jimbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Looking good Jim, Like the pictures. How do you upload them?? couldn't see how on here....

Can't understand why someone would go to all the trouble of fitting two batteries, altering the wiring to suit when fitting one correctly works far better and probably took half the time??? Anyway job well done. From your pictures yours looks like a MK 1. If it has chrome cill cover strips (think I can make one out) as these were replaced on the MK 2 with black plastic ones. Also the MK 1's had a Jaeger mechanical clock on the dash, not the later quartz type. Nice one!! Mk 1's pretty rare now esp auto's.

Your fusebox may have the same problem mine did. The holders & the fuses became age tarnished which made random electrical things go off, then come on again seemingly of their own accord. Gave everything a clean with emery paper & problem solved!! Your previous owner has obviously come up with a more radical solution!!

I'd also change your oil ASAP if your having autobox problems. They play up if the oil is not kept topped up & clean. I'd also recommend changing the oil every 3-4K miles not the book 6K. Get your thermostat replaced too as this gets the oil up to temperature quicker & stops the autobox 'surging' through the gears when cold.

Your finding spares OK then. Good place is e-bay. Also the Allegro owners club has a great spares service (mail order). I've got hold of some hard to get auto parts from them. Great bunch of like minded guy's too. You've also got Earlparts car spares & BL Transverse. Both helpful over the phone & online catalogues.

I've never fitted electronic ignition kits but would like to for reliability. Just make sure the number on the kit matches your distributor. Most were Lucus 45D, but mine is a 25D as it's a very early Mk 1 (Nov 74) so double check first. If you get one let me know how easy(ish) they are to fit.

Good luck with your water leaking into the car - thats the stuff of my nightmares!! I have heard there are tubes running from the scuttle area down through the inner wing & out under the car that deal with water in this area but I don't know for sure. if your having problems Giz is the guy to ask as he's stripped an estate back to bare bones so will know more.

Looking good so far, wish I had more time to work on my old girl..... Andy.

Andy Perman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:31 pm

Thanks Andy,

I think mine is a series 2, as it's a 1976, but I stand to be corrected! The cill covers are plastic I think, although they are covered in spray paint - I'll check them out soon enough.

Are you a member of the owner's club then?

What is your experience so far? Is it worth the membership fee? Have you been to any meets? I know Jamie (Sweeney) would like to know as well. It would be good to get some trim spares and so on from them if they have them, otherwise it's ebay, or scrapyards which isn't ideal for a 36 year old car Crying or Very sad

Cheers,
Jim

Jimbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi Jim,

Yes I'm a member of the Allegro club. Think it costs around 22 quid for the year, which you get access to the forums and the spares service which is great. It's run out of a basement in Hastings and has pretty much everything in it.

Went to a couple of meets this year, but it's hard without my old girl on the road. Great bunch of guy's, not highbrow at all and they know all the ways to do things on the allegro. Oh and you get a club magazine every 3 months or so (quartic) which is a good read. I'd recommend joining up esp as you have a rolling resto.

I'll get some pictures over the weekend of the bodywork, interior and engine bay as I've done some posting thanks to your instructions. (see other thread). I'll pick out some of the MK 1 bits which should nail yours down. Think 76 was the change over year so you maybe right.

Cheers.

Andy.

Andy Perman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down