Austin Allegro Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Austin Allegro Forum
Austin Allegro Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Show Us Yer Motor!"

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

"Show Us Yer Motor!" - Page 3 Empty Welcome

Post  Andy Perman Thu May 30, 2013 12:10 pm

Welcome to the forum Very Happy I think it's the perfect time to be getting hold of an Allegro as prices are on the rise and they are only going to keep on going up. That said there are still a few about and they do come up mostly on 'the bay' and also in the owners club. Spares are fairly easy to get and most importantly they are simple to work on Very Happy They are real head turners when you're out and about, people often stop me and say - my dad had one of those etc etc

Keep us posted on your progress, indeed if you find a potential car, post it on here and we'll help where we can.

I found my car in a scrapyard 2 years ago, rescued it & bought it back to health and really enjoyed the experience Very Happy My thread is on here 'My Vanden Plas auto restoration'.

Good luck and happy hunting. Andy.

Andy Perman

Back to top Go down

"Show Us Yer Motor!" - Page 3 Empty Re: "Show Us Yer Motor!"

Post  Sweeney Fri May 31, 2013 9:08 am

...As an entry level car id back that up also, easy to work on, bits are allways at the right money, as long as we dont expect to get the parts 'overnight' there are very few things that will sting you hard if you'r a DIY mechanic or semi skilled improver. Related experience will save you £££'s and the main thing to keep it all together doing the jobs on these motors is not to go at it like a bull at a gate, take your time & ask if you'r not sure. Most owners seem to learn alot about them in a very short owning time (that could be a good or bad thing Wink ) but there seems plenty of good advice & guidence around for if you'r unsure.

...Im glad I made the move when I did and thats quite something from a hardened Ford yob & people are accepting that these are classic cars, against all the odds, bad reports, bad press & generally getting a bad name unfairly because of lack of upkeep - they have still made it Very Happy

...Jamie
Sweeney
Sweeney

Back to top Go down

Post  mainecoon Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 am

Cheers, just read comments and ... maybe soon after Allegro Estate ? 1980 ish ! Current car Skoda Octavia 2004 , but amazed how electrics can play up !! Perhaps manual windows would be better ?! Anyway , looking to participate in this forum !! Found out old car gone to car heaven sadly .... Neutral

mainecoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney Fri May 31, 2013 1:02 pm

...Keep your eye on Ebay and Car & Classic, thats where alot of them get put for sale - welcome to the forum, where repair and despair is talked about daily Very Happy
Sweeney
Sweeney

Back to top Go down

Post  mainecoon Fri May 31, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks , and we will keep looking !! Estate version only 1980 - onwards possible @ present !! Will keep looking & in no haste cat !

mainecoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:58 pm

"Show Us Yer Motor!" - Page 3 %3Ca%20href="Show Us Yer Motor!" - Page 3 DSC_0346_zpsb9c39355" />
Sweeney
Sweeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:04 pm

...after a few tweeks with the now rescued & repaired Churchill Hydrolastic Pump, worth having to keep the suspension upto scratch, the car was over pressure at 410psi but now running a more comfortable 320psi Wink 

"Show Us Yer Motor!" - Page 3 %3Ca%20href="Show Us Yer Motor!" - Page 3 DSC_0384_zps9325f290" />

"Show Us Yer Motor!" - Page 3 %3Ca%20href="Show Us Yer Motor!" - Page 3 DSC_0397_zps6599e329" />
Sweeney
Sweeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Thats looking really smart now Jamie. Makes a huge difference with the suspension sitting where it should, the Mk1's always were a tad lower than the Mk2's

Love the mining backdrop, where is it? I visited the Caphouse Colliery in Wakefield last year, great day out but I don't recognise it in your pictures. Looks derelict, great! love urban dereliction Very Happy 

Gonna have to get my suspension pumped up, it's propper low now gonna wreck the driveshafts & joints if I don't... Fancy a trip to the south coast with the 'Dalek'??? Shocked 

By the way, did you know both your's & charlies motors made it into the latest ACI Quartic magazine?

Andy Perman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sweeney Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:21 pm

...Cheers Andy! he's getting there now, Very Happy  makes a car how it sits Wink  and over the years all too often with the Allegro's this got overlooked and neglected very much.

This is Pleasley Mining Museum just outside Mansfield on the A617 off Jct29 M1, local to myself as this was the main industry of the area and heart of the former Nottinghamshire coal field so id guess the car park has seen a few Allegro's over the years when it was still operating, theres a few more bits of old heavy industry left in the area for dramatic artie photo shots still, seems to work for car photo's quite well Very Happy 

Ive not heard about the last Quartic issue as yet but we'r hoping to catch up with ACI on the Manchester Show this weekend coming 21st & 22nd as ive just picked up a nice email about it and really hope to make it Very Happy
Sweeney
Sweeney

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:13 pm

Ah, speaking of shows....... Very Happy 

I'm planning to go to the Maxi - Landcrab - Allegro show on the 29th Sept @ the museum of rural life, Milton Keynes. It's the first one where all 3 owners clubs have got together & sounds interesting. The ACI guys will be there, fancy coming along if you can Question 

Andy Perman

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Perman Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Here's the pictures from Quartic.......

"Show Us Yer Motor!" - Page 3 JamiesMotor_zpscc365c5e

Andy Perman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down